Of
> Brandon Mercer
> Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 2:41 PM
> To: misc@openbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Which SATA controller to purchase
>
> Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>
> >I have an i386 file server running OpenBSD 3.7-release. I want to add
an
> >SATA drive to the system. Since the motherboard does not have SATA
> >built-in, i need to purchase a controller card. I notice on
> >http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html that a number of SATA chips are
> >supported, though many will require an upgrade to -current or 3.8
when
> >it is released (either of which i would be willing to do if
necessary).
> >My question is, given a chip number listed on i386.html, how do i
find
> >out what products the chip is used in?
> >
> >For example, i was looking at the Promise SATA 150TX4 and i have not
yet
> >been able to find what chip that controller uses. Any suggestions on
> >what controller card i should get?
> >
> LSI Logic.  Find one... they're cheap, fast, work great and you can
even
> do raid!!
> Brandon

OpenBSD should have a web store that is really only a referral store to
other sellers.  For example (not advocating using it), Amazon has an
Associates program that pays referral fees.  There could be a "virtual"
store that lists things that are known to be well supported by OpenBSD,
and then referral income goes to OpenBSD.  It would make buying parts
easy, although there could be arguments over what level of functionality
would qualify.