On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 06:14:06PM -0400, Chris wrote:
> In the entire /usr/lib/ directory, libcrypto was the only library with
> the mode of 600.  In the /dev/ directory, apm was the only file with the
> mode 600.  So, it is strange.  I certainly didn't single these files out
> and change perms on them.  But, it is possible that I might have done
> something different than most... maybe it is that I ran KDE as root
> before I ran it as my user... I don't know.  But even if I screwed up
> (which I don't see how, but I know I'm not perfect), I thought I should
> post the solution for the benefit of the community.
>
> I'm sorry if I upset anyone.  I meant no offense.

You did not upset anyone, at least not me.

I'm trying to give you proper focus here.
I don't know what happened on your system, but those issues with
files not having the right permission would worry me. A lot!

Nobody else is having those issues. This means something bad is happening
to your disk, somewhere. Maybe some corrupted memory while writing to it ?
or some really strange bug that affects one file in a thousand ?

I wouldn't feel safe with such a system. If I were you, I would probably
have a real good look at software such as aide and start using it.
I would check all permissions very closely, and the integrity of your
filesystem.

I'm not kidding. Unless you find a big problem in your process.