On Monday, September 26, Szechuan Death wrote:

> What is wrong with dump/restore/tar is that nobody running a network
> larger than two computers uses it.  Yes, I'm sure you can make it work
> with plenty of Perl scripting, some clever use of cron and ssh, and
> plenty of disk space.  Nobody in their right mind wants to create such
> a Frankenstein's monster, or to maintain it.  Also, dump/restore/tar
> et al. doesn't handle tape or pool management, so you get the limitless
> joy of having to figure out which tapes/volumes can be safely expired -
> woe betide you if you guess wrong!  Oops, maybe there's data on all
> the tapes that you need, so you can't reuse any of them.  How do you
> compact it?  And so forth.  I don't even want to _think about_ the
> scripting that would require.  Oh, did I mention that dump/restore
> don't exist on anything but a Unix system?

ports/misc/amanda - check it out.

> Administrators don't want that; they want a daemon that they can change
> the flags for in rc.conf from NO to "", tweak the config file for five
> minutes, start the daemon, and feel the file-duplicating happiness as
> their clients are backed up painlessly.  This is what I propose.

Backup is as individual as you and me.

> I propose some default features - transparent encryption of backed-up
> files, perhaps, maybe even SSL for transport - that would make it
> a _secure_ backup solution that is usable over the big, bad Internet.
> Again, looking at the original post, the database seemed to me to be
> part and parcel of this, for efficiency reasons.  As you might be
> aware, you can't have a dependency outside the src/ tree; you can't
> have an "OpenBAK" or whatever that pauses in the middle of make to
> say "This requires PostgreSQL from the ports tree, go install it
> and come back".  Not gonna work.  That compels the introduction of
> a database as well.

I *dont* want a database in my backup scheme.  At least not the type
you are thinking of.  It has been my unfortunate experience that the
database will usually let me down at the worst of times.  Sure, if you
need some indexes to search things faster, so be it, but be able to
search without them.

You've not thought this through beyond "Hey, what is this kneejerking
happening here?  Oh, I get it, everything about OpenBSD is so easy, I
wish files would just automagically be backed up as well!"

Nice thought, honestly.  Now, do some research.

--Toby.