We'll make it work for donations :-)

IPMI & MPT :-)

So if anyone is willing to donate let us know...

On Sep 30, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Sam Vaughan wrote:

On 30/09/2005, at 6:58 PM, David Gwynne wrote:

From: "Henning Brauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

* Daniel Ouellet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-09-29 22:20]:

afaik the 4100 and 4200 use the slightly aged AMD chipset, same thing
as in the HP DL145 G1, the V20z, and the IBM - should just work.

True, that bit should just work as should the nics since its just 4x em.

However, the onboard storage controller probably wont work out of the box right now. It's a SAS variant of the chips supported by the mpt driver. According to marco it isn't as trivial as adding the pci ids to the driver to make it work either. I'll gladly accept a donation of a x4100 or x4200 to make it work ;)

The only other interesting thing in these machines is the ipmi stuff and the management controller.

When you say that the onboard storage controller probably won't work, do
you mean that managing it from inside OpenBSD won't work, or that it
probably won't even be possible to boot?

If it's just the former, then the IPMI controller would still allow you to set up RAID status notification, reconfigure the disks and so forth.

I need to choose a server in the next couple of months and the x4200
looks like very good value for money. I'd really like to be able to run
OpenBSD on it.

Thanks,

Sam