On 10/7/05, Nick Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rogier Krieger wrote:

Somehow, I expected you'd reply :)

> > Giving up on the BIOS built-in LANdesk
> > 0.99 PXEboot was a little harder, but the machine is a wee bit beyond
> > its supported life cycle.
>
> If that's on the fxp card/chip, you might have luck downloading and
> updating the boot ROMs.  I did eventually find an Intel download which
> works on most of my fxp cards with the 0.99 PXE stuff.

I'm not sure yet whether the PXE lives on the card or within the BIOS.
So far, the only way to get to the PXE was through enabling "Boot from
LAN first", although I do not find it entirely conclusive. The Realtek
card is just the first piece we found lying around to put in the spare
(and only) PCI slot. The fxp is integrated on the board.

I saw several posts in the misc@ archives detailing problems with the
0.99 revision. I'll dig around the Intel jungle to see what I can find
and report on success/failure.

> Typically, around 1M of RAM is required to fsck 1G of disk.  You can use
> a swap partition (NOT a swap file, as that isn't activated yet), but
> that's slow.

I know; I created wd0a to fit well within the 504M limit as listed in
the FAQ. There also is a ~900M swap partition to deal with the ~200G
data partition. That said, let's say I place a good deal of faith in
the machine's uptime potential to not need to fsck. Also, fsck
shouldn't be too fast: otherwise my 9k6 serial console may fall behind
:)

> But yes...fun. :)

Indeed; a perfect tinkering thing for a Friday afternoon.

Cheers,

Rogier
--
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.