From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Justin Wong
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:46 PM
To: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: FileSystem Corruptions? Very important Files at stake.

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me.
After searches on the internet turned up nothing, I found your site about
your love for OpenBSD..... My problem is that when I boot, I get an error
/dev/rwd0a BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN
FIRST ALTERNATE.
Then, on the same 13 gig drive, the error,"
/dev/rwd0a UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY"
. Later on, I also get an error from my other HardDRive which is a 200 gig
Seagate. This drive is also getting many errors. I did not realise it, but I
guess I had formatted it in NTFS. This HardDrive contains many files of
which are very important (3 years worth of files and a few thousand family
photos).

The only thing I can remember that might be related to the error is that the
computer would not shut down the previous night. I am relatively new to
OpenBSD so I shurgged it off as I held the power button down. I made sure
the HDD activity light was off.

I am using OpenBSD 3.7.
When I type "login" I get a #sh not found error and it seems to continue.
>From there I get thousands of errors where the computer tells me to fsck.
>From my view, it looks like both filesystems became corrupted. I really
need
these files.
A liveCD of Ubuntu doesn't seem to be working as it can't read the 200 gig
drive. The 13 gig drive comes up with a nod error every couple or so nodes
with fsck. Ubuntu won't even read the 200 gig drive. Can you please help me
at least to recover hte files? Any suggestions would help. THe computer is a
500Mhz K6 with the 13 gig drive run as master and the 200 gig drive as
slave. Some of these files are photographs of my now deceased grandfather
and are very important.
Thank you for your time.
Justin Wong.

--