On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:12:09 +0100
Claudio Jeker <cje...@diehard.n-r-g.com> wrote:

>| On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 09:11:13AM +0100, Manuel Guesdon wrote:

>| > >|
>| > >|

>| > Not on this server (I can't reboot it often) but on another one with same
>| > hardware: it doesn't seems to make difference (it still have Ierr).
>| >

>| This diff will help.</sarcasm>

Of course and s/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/ may help too but none of these proposals
seems very constructive.

>| I think we already mentioned it that you will always see Ierr. The
>| question is if the box is able to forward more then 150kpps.

Yes that's one a the questions. We can divide it into 3 questions:
1) is the limitation comes from hardware ?
2) is the limitation comes from OpenBSD ?
3) is the limitation comes from the way OpenBSD exploit hardware.

1) Except if someone explain by a+b why the hardware can't forward this
rate, I'm keep thinking it can do it (otherwise I don't see reason to sell
quad 1Gbps nic). I'm ok to hear that I've purchased crappy motherboard card
or nic (but I'd like to understand why they are crappy).

The last 2 questions are still open in my mind.

I've spent days and days making tests, searches, reading kernel source code
and so on because I think it's interesting for the community to find where the
problem come from and how to solve it (if possible). If finally the answer is
that OpenBSD (or may be any other OS) can't forward more than 150kpps without
losing 1 to 20 pps with this hardware, I'll live with it. But as we've
already seen that increasing int/s improve performances (for good or bad
reason), I keep thinking there's something to improve or fix but I may be
wrong.

Anyway, thank you for your work and help.

Manuel

Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM