On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 23:40:16 -0800
erikmccaskey64 wrote:

> 3 - if i don't use my router - e.g.: when i'm sleeping i just turn it
> off.

Well that's a controversial one, yes it's said an attacker will wait to
see if your online for long before attacking but it's more of a Windows
type defence and could be seen as trading security for obscurity. The
boot up phase whilst likely one of the cleanest stages is also one of
the most priviledged and vulnerable. Of course it's a lot easier to
protect your bios/chips and have a read only root on OpenBSD ;-) which
IMO is definately the best OS for a router money can buy.

I can't believe off the shelf linux routers being rebooted is
tollerated or ones that send packets you haven't told them too (cisco
and a freebsd one I had). I was in PC World seeing out of interest if
they had ANY laptops that weren't widescreen once and asked if this
laser printer came with toners more than a third full (printers cheaper
than the toners!!!). He said I'll have a look....Hold on I'll just go
and reset the router, and they're the ones telling people what to buy,
too.