On 03/10/2011 11:25 AM, Kent Watsen wrote:
it's not there, nor should it be.  sparc* does not use fdisk.

That's what I had read, but my other Netra T1 running 4.6 has it - and I used it when configuring RAIDFrame (raid(4))...why is it there? - why did it work?

you CAN use fdisk when configuring a non-fdisk platform with raidframe, but save yourself work and headaches, don't. You would have to configure your softraid post install, however, as fdisk is only on the installed system, not the space-tight boot media. I suspect fdisk is there so you can plug an external USB disk and prep it out with an MSDOS file system (I never tried this to see if it works).

Now I'm giving softraid(4) a go and these instructions (http://jpiasetz.tumblr.com/post/483365684/software-raid-on-openbsd-using-softraid) start by using fdisk(8).

I take no responsibility for third-party documentation written by someone who assumes all the world is an Intel platform system.

(I do believe fdisk is referenced in the man page for softraid, too...but doesn't seem to be needed on non-fdisk platforms).

Nick.