In short: if I'd like to get a RAID5/6 supporting mfi(4) card, what
current LSI/other models would I be looking for? Would that be models
with the LSISAS2108 chip?

The mfi(4) manual states the Dell PERC H700 to be a supported mfi(4)
card. From the Dell documentation, it seems that card holds an
LSISAS2108 chip. Is this the generic LSI chip for this particular
line? If so, what generic cards LSI cards would I be looking for. It
would be nice to have more options than just Dell.

Can anyone confirm the following would be mfi(4):
+ MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i [1]
+ MegaRAID SAS 9280-16i4e [2]
+ SuperMicro AOC-USAS2LP-H8iR [3]

Each of these has product pages listing the 2108 chipset, but I'd
prefer some confirmation before going the 'try by buying' way.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated (including a reality check on
my liking mfi(4) over e.g. mpi(4)).

Regards,

Rogier