Hey all,

Attached is a dmesg of one of a pair of supermicro based firewalls I
recently bought. I had set them up as a CARP/pfsync redundant pair of
frontend firewalls for our network. However, after they reached 15,000
interrupts per second (~ 110 megabits of our site traffic), they passed 90%
CPU usage through interrupts and stopped being useful.

The machines have two built-in BGE nics. I swapped in an Intel PRO/1000MT
Dual Port Server Nic into a PCI-X 133mhz PCI slot, but it made absolutely no
difference in the interrupt load. The current firewalls in place are freebsd
machines running on supermicro hardware with two em based built-in nics
running past 40k interrupts without passing 50% CPU load on interrupts. The
only error I can see in the dmesg was this:

pcibios0: no compatible PCI ICU found: ICU vendor 0x8086 product 0x2640
pcibios0: Warning, unable to fix up PCI interrupt routing
pcibios0: PCI bus #5 is the last bus

... which as far as I can read, is "harmless", but potentially causing
higher interrupt load?

Any hints as to where I should look next would be great. I'm about to
install the latest -current snapshot on the machine to see if there's a
recent fix.

I'm about 95% sure this is the motherboard we're using:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/E7221/P8SCT.cfm I'll check
with the order guy and confirm the PO.

There's a 3.4ghz P4 CPU in it, the two built-in nics, and a single PCI-X
133mhz PCI port which I used for the dual port server nic from intel. SATA
harddrive for what it's worth. Running OpenBSD 3.7 as a PF firewall. I've
tried changing a bunch of BIOS options, disabling interrupts, etc. I haven't
compiled my own kernel or built the OS or anything.

Thanks,
-Dormando

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had
a name of supermicro-dmesg]