> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 03:27:12PM +0200, PrzemysE?aw Nowaczyk wrote:
> > Jason McIntyre wrote:
> > >
> > >i don't know much about the issues involved (i don't know anything about
> > >them actually) but basically apm is not supported on this machine.
> > >
> > >i have an r40e with the same issue, and it is a royal pain for a laptop ;(
> > >
> > so what you want to tell is that it won't change..? that's a sad news..
> > actually I bought this machine to be "on the road" with OpenBSD.. and to
> > be honest I thought that since other ThinkPads work great this won't
> > have any issues either.. and now I begin to regret my choice..
> > Really nothing can bo done?
> >

> i can't say that, since i don't know. maybe mickey or theo can tell us
> the specific issue, but it's something to do with intel's choice of
> hardware i think...

It saddens me; appears that at least some newer IBM laptops have removed
the legacy APM support.

Over the last few years IBM has been doing the best job of all laptop
vendors.  Instead of having an increasingly crummy APM implimentation as
other vendors have had, they instead had a proper and good shim doing
APM on top of the internal ACPI codebase, hence APM worked just fine.

If they have finally decided to stop shipping with a working APM, IBM
laptops are now off my list.  They are now no better than anything
else.

But this is typical; companies always shoot themselves in the foot.
There is such a great disconnect with minor (but very dedicated)
groups in their user base.  How modern of them..