On 10/18/05, Theo de Raadt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > It's perfectly possible. I took few minutes yesterday afternoon to
> > > toss together a little perl script to mount my various USB drives
> > > correctly:
> > > * My iriver matches "umass\d.+ iRiver iRiver" and mounts on /iriver
> > > * My lexar jumpdrive matches "umass\d.+ LEXAR JUMPDRIVE" and mounts on
> > > /auto/jumpdrive
> > > * My FireLite external 80GB matches "umass\d.+ FireLite" and mounts on
> > > /auto/firelite
> > > * anything else is ignored.
> > >
> > > It's a little rough right now, and to add new devices and mountpoints
> > > you need to edit the script. I may tidy it up in the future to use a
> > > config file, but right now it works for me. To other writing such a
> > > script: use the device class and name passed to you by hotplugd, and
> > > fetch other bits of information from dmesg and usbdevs.
> >

> > My apologies if I am confused here but that doesn't really answer the
> > original question, does it? I assume this solution will also work for
> the
> > other person but his question as framed was regarding assigning static
> > device names rather than determing the dynamically assigned device name.
>
> Cut the rhetoric, Greg.
>
> Ted made it clear there is no solution.
>
> But Chris has supplied a workaround that is workable for at least some
> people.
>
> Now if you don't appreciate it when people help other people on this
> list, why don't you please disconnect yourself from the list. Why flame?

Sorry, man, I didn't intend to flame. I was just trying to get my head
around the original issue as I'm not a developer, that's why I started it
with "My apologies if I am confused here" to avoid the appearance of a
flame. I just wanted to understand better what's possible and not possible.

Again, my apologies to Chris and the list,
 Greg