Hi,

Is it possible to somehow force a program to run on a single CPU in an SMP system? The reason I ask that on some SMP-capable architectures, I'm having some problems with ntpd. On hppa and sgi, the clock won't sync because ntpd sees replies with negative delay:

Jul 9 08:58:19 hppa ntpd[21406]: reply from 192.168.4.12: negative delay -0.854615s, next query 3120s

(reported as PR6592)

If I run the bsd.sp kernel, the negative delays are gone and ntpd syncs without any problem. I was wondering if the problem would occur if I could limit ntpd to a single CPU. Diving into the code is way beyond my skills, so I was hoping that there is a utility like nice to achieve this.

Thanks,
Maurice