On 11 Jul 2011 at 20:59, Paul Suh wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2011, at 5:57 PM, Jacob L. Leifman wrote:
>
> > Environment:
> > - OpenBSD 4.9, stock (base) apache with self-signed certificate
> > - behind a SOHO NAT router (with relevant in-bound redirects)
> >
> > Problem: non-local SSL connections never complete the handshake
> > (verified while monitoring the interface with tcpdump, see below)
> >
> > During troubleshooting I was able to eliminate a few suspects:
> > - Regular un-encrypted HTTP (port 80) works every time;
> > - https:// from the same LAN (i.e. no NAT) always works;
> > - SSH always works (whether local or remote);
> > - PF seems to have no bearing -- no difference in behavior whether
> > enabled, enabled with "pass in quick" for the remote test host, or even
> > altogether disabled.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I cannot eliminate the NAT device and need to find a way
> > to work with it.
>
> *snip*
>
> Jacob,
>
> A few things to try:
>
> 1) Try a non-OpenBSD server on the inside, just to see if the problem is
> specific to OpenBSD or occurs with other server types.

good idea. I will try it as soon as I can which will not be for a few
days.

> 2) Try using
>
>       openssl s_client -connect hostname:443
>
> from the outside and see what kind of error message you get back.

did that (as well as lynx and some others) -- there are no error
message, just times out.

> 3) Try connecting from the outside using wget or curl and see what kind of
> error message you get back.

see just above.

> FWIW, I'm guessing that the problem is at the router. The packet trace is
> showing a TCP SYN coming from the client, followed correctly by a SYN-ACK
> going back from the server. The client should send an ACK packet back, but
> instead it waits several seconds (i.e., timeout) then sends another TCP SYN,
> which would be what happens when the client does not receive the SYN-ACK from
> the server. Can you get a packet trace from the outside interface of the
> router?

I believe you are right; or at the very least it is some kind of weird
interaction with the router. Unfortunately, this is a consumer DSL
device with no packet capture/trace capability.

> Hope this helps.

some more leads to chase ;-)