2011/7/29 Remco <re...@d-compu.dyndns.org>

> frantisek holop wrote:
>
> > hi there,
> > sorry for the offtopic but there are probably many knowledgeable
> > admins on this list as well.
> >
> > i am looking for a solution that keeps monitoring file system io
> > for all stuff under a certain path and whenever files
> > change/get added/removed it synchronises these changes with
> > multiple remote locations.  basically sql replication for file system :]
> >
> > anybody using something like this?
>
> I've never used it, I don't know how well it works, but it might fit your
> needs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_File_System

AFS has support for (atomically) distributing copies to other fileservers,
BUT, the volumes for which you want distribution, there are a number of
things to think of.

One is that its nothing like fast if you are thinking along "SQL" terms. It
will do incremental diffs when sending changes, but the atomicity doesn't
really allow for
lightning fast replication. Also, all the replicas are read-only, so you can
only write to the master (for that particular volume) server, then you run a
command to start the
sync to the replication servers. It's not automatic which may be good if you
update a lot of related files in a swoop, but can of course be crontabbed or
something like that.

So yes, it does do parts of whats been asked for above, but perhaps its not
what the "hidden demands" call for.

--
 To our sweethearts and wives.  May they never meet. -- 19th century toast