It seems that tar(1) is only able to archive filenames of 100 characters or
less. However, ufs can handle (I've been testing using touch(1)) filenames
up to 255 characters. I tried to modify the following in src/bin/pax/tar.h

#define TNMSZ           100             /* size of name field */

#define TNMSZ           255             /* size of name field */

But it didn't seem to work.

Has anyone bumped into this and made a more reliable fix?

The issue is that with NFS mounts of directories such as iTunes music
directories, there's often longer file names than 100 characters. So doing
backups or transporting the files is slightly difficult.

Thanks. I'm using 3.7-STABLE.

- Eric