On 13/09/2011 9:04 PM, Tor Houghton wrote:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:19:21PM +0930, David Walker wrote:
Hi.

uname -rsv
OpenBSD 5.0 GENERIC#39

I'm gearing up to use popa3d and testing it on a machine.

I tried the following in rc.conf.local (where V is version number and
exeunt) ...
popa3d_flags="-D"
popa3d_flags="-V"
popa3d_flags="-D -V"

... and it does not start.

Even though I see this in RC.D(8) ...

<snip>

popa3d is started by inetd; for example

$ grep -i pop /etc/inetd.conf
127.0.0.1:pop3 stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/popa3d   popa3d

in my case, i only listen on localhost (connections to this daemon gets
forwarded by stunnel or ssh).

kind regards,

tor houghton

Short answer to OP:

Not all binaries that can be run as services have rc.d(8) control scripts.

    You've been blessed with coming up with one, and educating the rest of
    us.

I'm not sure what the process is, but if you post an rc.d(8) popa3d control script suggestion then at least it will be in the mail archives and if found 'acceptable' might be included in future
releases.

As the popa3d(8) manpage suggests, you have two options for running popa3d:

  * directly, benefit of lower overhead (useful for busy servers) or
  * through inetd(8)

Many people use popa3d (which I guess means that many of us do not have a resource issue) running it that way. If your use case requires running it directly then you now need
to launch it at host startup (as you've documented in your OP)

As rc.d(8) evolves we'll hopefully find more (?) control scripts placed into /etc/rc.d,
likewise hopefully more ports evolve to using said scripts.

Good luck,

Sam T.