On Sun, 18 Sep 2011, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

> > [error] (35)Resource temporarily unavailable: fork: Unable to fork new
> > process
>
> Isn't running 4.3 kinda cranky?

Only in the past six months - pretty much bulletproof for many years.

> $SEARCH_ENGINE "$your_error_message"
>
> gives, for example, this result:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/misc@openbsd.org/msg36388.html

Unfortunatley, that isn't the issue. It has run fine with max_clients set
at 150; when this started happening, I ran it down to 64.

> All the others results lead to the same conclusion: your httpd process has
> reached its resources limits. Either your problem is due to the use of
> sudo apachectl (use /etc/rc.d/httpd), or you'll have to give httpd more room,
> by tweaking login.conf.

It isn't a resource problem, however, ..

        :datasize=infinity:\
        :maxproc=infinity:\
        :openfiles-cur=128:\
        :stacksize-cur=8M:\

*Something* seems to be breaking, causing Apache to 'think' it's out of
resources.

        Lee