On 2 October 2011 08:03, LeviaComm Networks <n...@leviacomm.net> wrote:
> First off, the UEFI boot will *not* prevent other OS's from booting, it
will
> only pop up a message saying that the boot process was not secure, just
like
> how you can run unsigned code and it will only pop up a box stating as
much.
>  It would be impossible to prevent an 'insecure' OS from booting since that
> would prevent you from booting a newer version of the Windows Installer.
>  Ideally UEFI would post a warning stating that the OS signature is not on
> the list and allow you to add it.

... would it?  I should think that they could simply sign the new installer
with the existing keys.  OTOH it's quite possible that someone will extract
the private key(s) from the hardware, too.  It already happened for Apple's
Airport Express, no?

On balance, I really don't think this is worth the angst and scaremongering.

John