--On 25 October 2005 05:10 +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

What I'd like to do is have my TERM environment variable set to wsvt25
for all users forever, and XTERM set to xterm-xfree86 for all users
forever.

The environment variable is still called TERM in X.

I've grepped through /etc and I can't find where environment variables
are set, either.  So (my user account shell is bash) I set TERM=wsvt25
in .bash_profile, and when I login I get the "declare ...." messages,
but it ignores TERM and XTERM that I set, with TERM set to vt220.

I don't know bash well but in ksh, you need to make the xterm a login shell in order to use .profile (by setting loginShell resource to true, or using -ls in the xterm command line). Displaying some output will prove whether it's being run.

Also, did you remember to export the variable?

I like colorls and color syntax highlighting when using emacs on a
console, so that's why I want wsvt25.

You might be able to use some xterm variant at the console too, actually. Works for me with mutt on the console of a Zaurus..