Hi.

In manXX.tgz (since 4.8) and also on web-cgi, the smtpd.conf(5) man
page references makemap(8) more than once ...
... with explicit instructions to use that man page as a guide when
making db maps and/or understanding the format of plain maps.

The web-cgi page obviously hyperlinks to the other page.

The makemap(8) man page - again in manXX.tgz and also on web-cgi -
contains the following ...

NAME
     makemap - create database maps for sendmail

... and references another associated man page - editmap ...

NAME
     editmap - query and edit records in database maps for sendmail

... both of which reference Sendmail ...
... both of which also reference the sendmail(8) man page ...

These breadcrumbs (implicitly and explicitly) eventually also lead to
looking at the Sendmail README ...

This has been the case for over a year every single time I've looked
at web-cgi and on multiple iterations of base ...
... and I've been trying very hard to exhaust myself there before coming here.

Suffice to say this is not optimum.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.sbin/smtpd/makemap.8

- smtpd's db maps are incompatible with sendmail's and needs a distinct
        makemap utility, this is needed for virtual users support amongst
        other things. links to smtpd's aliases.c and only provides a
        frontent to parse map descriptions. contains code from pyr@, chl@
        and I. Should have also been imported with smtpd.

Etcetera.

I feel ill.

It's somewhat obvious when you do the math between /etc/mailwrapper
and /usr/share/man but not obvious enough apparently ...

On 10/10/2011, Gilles Chehade <gil...@poolp.org> wrote:
> This behavior is not specific to OpenSMTPD, at least Postfix ...

That came as quite a surprise.

So I go read this ...
http://www.postfix.org/virtual.5.html
... and it's quite different from the OpenBSD man pages ... obviously ...
... but it answers a lot of questions ...
... such as why users who are probably much smarter than me (such as
Henri) struggle to get this going ...
... and more importantly are apparently asking the wrong questions ...

If that's reminiscent of iRobot (Arthur C. Clarke) ... that's exactly
how it feels.
Asking the wrong questions ...

Is this known (AKA are developers installing from source and not seeing this)?

Should this be "fixed" for some definition of fixed?

If so, what's a good course of action?
- outline it for me, and if I can do, it I will, help me get rid of
some of the disappointment.

If not, what can be done about users who read the man pages and have
issues as a result?
- presumably at some point, Sendmail will no longer be in base, man
pages will get rotated, this will cease to be an issue. In the interim

I've apparently wasted a lot of time and enthusiasm on this ...
... but perhaps more importantly I've wasted a opportunities to ask
questions about what's really going on and instead I've been asking
about things that are irrelevant ...
... the "real" makemap man page is somewhat cryptic to me and I need
to be asking about that.

Best wishes.