On 2011-10-18, Leon Me?ner <l.mess...@physik.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 08:43:50PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> This is what a BREAK on a serial console looks like.

>> ><snipped the dmesg>
>> >
>> > Upgrading to 5.0 changed nothing. After dhcping and invoking ssh the
>> > machine froze. Trace of this freeze is below. Actually i forgot to
>> > mention that sometimes the machine manages to unfreeze again after some
>> > minutes.
>
> Thats the way i got the ddb output. What's the interesting output then
> in this case? As suggested i'll try to get another machine going and
> test with that. This one did unfreeze after an undetermined amount of
> time after i unplugged all network devices in the internal 192.x lan
> segment.

Depending on the cause, besides ps/trace, these are some of the more
useful things you can type:

sh reg
sh malloc
sh all pools
sh uvmexp

Not sure what else to suggest from ddb, with this type of problem
it's sadly really difficult to get useful information. If you can't
take diagnosis further, giving as much information as possible about
the setup and what you're doing at the time in the hope that somebody
has the time/ability to reproduce and debug it is often all you can do.

> My resolv.conf is fine i think (attached).

This wouldn't hang the machine.

On 2011-10-17, Leon Me?ner <l.mess...@physik.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> we are running a backup firewall machine which regularly freezes since
> OpenBSD 4.6. The configuration also changed at this time. When frozen no
> input is accepted by serial or keyboard console. Breaking to ddb works
> though. The output of ps and trace are below. The machine is primarily
> working as a transparent firewalling bridge but also runs NAT, pf and
> dhcpd for a 192.168.x/24. The freeze can often be provoked by obtaining
> an IP in the 192.168.x/24 and immediately sshing from this network into
> a Host on the bridged network part.

Is the natted network, 192.168.x, also involved in the bridge? If so, and
if that can be changed, that might be worth investigating. I think many of
us are generally trying to avoid bridges, so it's not going to be the best-
tested part of the network stack...