On 2011-10-18 22:08, leona...@sympatico.ca wrote:
I have volunteered to implement a wireless network in a school. I have about 2
months (till January) to do a proof of concept and implementation will be
summer of 2012.
Initial thoughts:
School is L shaped with 20 rooms , each arm of the L is ~ 35 M (~ 110 ft) in
length, everything is on one floor.There will be between 40 and 100 clients
connected at any one time throughout the school. Clients need to stay
connected to the wireless network as they move throughout the school.
each arm would have 2 access points at ~ 12M (40 ft) and 24 M (80 ft) from the
vertex of the 2 arms, and one in the vertex ( 5 APs total) I hope to use
soekris net6501-50: 1 Ghz CPU, 1 Gbyte DDR2-SDRAM, 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports as
the AP host, SparkLAN WMIA-199NI INDUSTRIAL GRADE WLAN 802.11n draft wifi
2.4/5Ghz dual band 3T/3R Module (Atheros AR9001 + AR9160 XSPAN) Wireless
miniPCI cardas the wireless cardProof of concept will use OpenBSD 5.0 to set
up the wireless network using hostAP to ensure the clients can stay connected
to the smae ssid throughout the school.. Production network in 2012 will
likely be openbsd 5.1

Before I invest money and time into this, does the plan sound reasonable? Are
there better wireless cards to use as access points?
Thanks for any advise, in particular on better wireless card choice, if there
is one.

Len Zaifman

I like the idea, it's quite managable, and you'll have excelente flexibility when it comes to network managment if you use this setup with OpenBSD.

Note, however, the downside is openbsd does not support 802.11n (it DOES however, support 802.11n cards running on 802.g or older modes).

You also have plenty of time to spare.

As for the specific hardware you've chosen, I can't really speak, don't know enough on the subject really, and haven't worked too much outside amd64/powerpc.

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera