02.11.2011 15:49, Amit Kulkarni P?P8QP5Q:
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Vadim Zhukov<persg...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hello all.

Someone of you could already know this, but me was just notified:
there exists Trinity Desktop - http://www.trinitydesktop.org/ - that
aims to keep KDE 3 platform alive. One of the goals they pursue is
co-existing with KDE 4.

My crazy idea is to port Trinity (those guys migrate to using Qt4 and
CMake, which is cool, and to UDev, which is not) and make it replace
KDE 3 (which is dead upstream anyway). After this migration to KDE 4
will be seamless (and those who want "KDE 3 enchanced" could have it
too :) ).

Is anyone interested?

--
   WBR,
   Vadim Zhukov

moving this to the misc@ list to get a gauge on people's opinions.

Are there many users of KDE on OpenBSD? I thought OpenBSD is mostly GNOME :-)

This new fork would be too much work :( Idea is very good, but GNOME
in OpenBSD is moving completely to 3.X, why keep a fork of old KDE or
old KDE? I agree that there are problems with new KDE but they would
be solved in future versions.

Opinions?

The idea is that migrating from KDE 3 to Trinity will allow to migrate to KDE 4 seamlessly later. At the present time (even when we'll have KDE 4 packages being built officially) you cannot install KDE 3 and KDE 4 together. I suspect that Trinity will be less pain than patching KDE 4 (and KDE 3) to work together. So if anyone has been used Trinity (on any OS), it'll be useful to hear your opinions.

--
WBR, Vadim Zhukov