Han Boetes wrote:
It started with my HD failing to sync when I was rebooting. And
some odd errormessages I saw. So I was holding my breath hoping
for it to be something else or just an incident.

DejC!-vC9. You are describing my laptop with its crappy Hitachi hard drive.

But it only got
worse. So After a reboot and nearly loosing a lot of important
stuff I decided to make the switch.

I wonder what it will take for me to get my thumbs out of my ass. Probably something similar. Hopefully not.

Anyway:

# There are two ways I found pretty comfortable to copy dirs. cp
# -Rp is fast. rsync shows what's going on, and you can easily
# update the remaining differences. So if you don't want to use
# rsync you'll have to do the copying in single user mode.

cp -Rp /etc .
rsync -aP /var .

cp does not preserve hard links. There may be other issues too. If not using dump|restore (as mentioned in previous replies), I'd say pax is the OpenBSD way to copy directories. :)

mkdir $TARGET; cd $SOURCE; pax -rwpe . $TARGET

/Alexander