Recap...

cdio...
# cdio tao /home/john/ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso
cdio: The media can't be written in TAO mode

I'm guessing I get that one because ISO distribution has deviated a
long way from formally defined standards towards spontaneously defined
ones.

cdrecord...# cdrecord -vv -dao dev=/dev/cd0c
/home/john/ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (--) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jvrg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/cd0c'
devname: '/dev/cd0c'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Using libscg transport code version 'schily-scsi-bsd.c-1.42'
SCSI buffer size: 61440
atapi: 0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'ASUS    '
Identifikation : 'DRW-20B1LT      '
Revision       : '1.00'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0011
Profile: 0x002B
Profile: 0x001B
Profile: 0x001A
Profile: 0x0016
Profile: 0x0015
Profile: 0x0014
Profile: 0x0013
Profile: 0x0012
Profile: 0x0011 (current)
Profile: 0x0010
Profile: 0x000A
Profile: 0x0009
Profile: 0x0008
Profile: 0x0002
cdrecord: Found DVD media but DVD-R/DVD-RW support code is missing.
cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for
cdrecord-ProDVD.
cdrecord: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support
code.
cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for
cdrecord-ProDVD.
cdrecord: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
Drive current speed: 125
Drive default speed: 125
Drive max speed    : 125
Selected speed     : 125
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD/DVD driver (checks media) (mmc_cd_dvd).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1310720 = 1280 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data   695 MB
track: 1 start: 0 pregap: 150
Total size:      798 MB (79:06.53) = 355990 sectors
Lout start:      798 MB (79:08/40) = 355990 sectors
Track 1 start 0
Track 2 start 355990
 41 00 A0 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00
 41 00 A1 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00
 41 00 A2 00 00 00 00 79 08 40 00 00
 41 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
Current Secsize: 2048
cdrecord: Unspecified command not implemented for this drive.
cdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on standard 74min disk.
Forcespeed is OFF.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 125 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Writing pregap for track 1 at -150
cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 FF FF FF 6A 00 00 1E 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
resid: 61440
cmd finished after 0.018s timeout 200s
write track pad data: error after 0 bytes
BFree: 0 K BSize: 1280 K
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:    0 of  695 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error.
write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E 00
status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
resid: 61440
cmd finished after 0.020s timeout 200s

write track data: error after 0 bytes
cdrecord: A write error occured.
cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
Writing  time:    5.061s
Average write speed 938.1x.
Fixating...
Fixating time:    0.000s
cdrecord: fifo had 68 puts and 1 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

John Tate

--
www.johntate.org