first off, apologies if this is a known issue. I didn't see anything
relevant in the release notes/changes, and nothing came up in a google
search.

I have an older pentium 3 machine. 450mhz cpu, 100mhz bus, intel "sun
river" 440bx motherboard, 128mb of ram (of which something like 12 are
being used for the onboard video). generic seagate 10gb ata drive
connected with one ribbon cable, cd drive connected with another. no pci
cards or other addons.

a couple days ago I tried to install 5.0 release via the "install50.iso" I
downloaded off a mirror. however, the installer doesn't get very far. it
completely loads the ram disk, but then it kernel panics instantly with a
'trap type 6'. no messages about found hardware or anything, it prints out
the copyright message and the panic message all in one swift motion. I
don't even get enough text to scroll the disk prompt off the top of the
screen. nothing I do changes this behavior.

I have tried the following:
- typing "boot -c" at the boot prompt (still panics)
- disabling different combinations of things in the bios
- swapping cd drives
- swapping ata cables
- swapping which ata port the cd was connected to
- swapped ram
- ran a memtest overnight
- verified the checksum on the install50.iso
- tried booting from cd50.iso

now, the fun part is that this only happens with 5.0, I can boot and
install off the 4.9 and 4.5 'install##.iso' cds just fine.

I don't have the knowledge or hardware to try and debug this via serial,
and I can't try booting off a floppy because I threw out all my floppy
drives years ago. I can give a dmesg from 4.9 if people think it might
help.