Gentlemen.

I'm puzzled.
I had been solving an issue for some time yesterday and today, solved
it but there has arisen a bigger question than I actually had during
the solving.

Yesterday I reinstalled the system on my Lenovo G565.

I had some big movie files, development directories and so on which I
decided to store all temporarily on my 1.5Tb USB WD HDD.
I just copied to that USB HDD all those files, 3, 4, 2.5 Gb and the
like, without any problem.

After I've got through the installation and configuration procedure of
the new system, I mounted back the USB HDD and started copying back
those big files (I mean first of all the files bigger than 2048mb),
but none of them would.
The copy procedure stuck on the mark of 2048mb with an error "couldn't
find the source file" and wouldn't go further. The error popped up
both by copying in midnight commander and by the cp command; the
kernel was the default vendor kernel.

Today I rebuilt the kernel and the issue - well - it just
dissipated... Is there anybody to happen to know which option from the
kernel configuration influences on resolving this issue with the USB
port?

Thanks for help in clearing it out.

Vitali

### my kernel config ###

machine B  B  B  B  i386
include B  B  B  B  "../../../conf/GENERIC"
maxusers B  B  B  B 100 B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # estimated number of
users

option B  B  B  B  B USER_PCICONF B  B # user-space PCI configuration

option B  B  B  B  B KVM86 B  B  B  B  B  # Kernel Virtual 8086 emulation
option B  B  B  B  B USER_LDT B  B  B  B # user-settable LDT; see
i386_set_ldt(2)
option B  B  B  B  B APERTURE B  B  B  B # in-kernel aperture driver for XFree86

option B  B  B  B  B COMPAT_LINUX B  B # binary compatibility with Linux

option B  B  B  B  B PROCFS B  B  B  B  B # /proc
option B  B  B  B  B NTFS B  B  B  B  B  B # NTFS support

config B  B  B  B  B bsd B  B  swap generic

mainbus0 at root

cpu0 B  B at mainbus?
bios0 B  at mainbus0
ioapic* at mainbus?
apm0 B  B at bios0 flags 0x0000 B  # flags 0x0101 to force protocol version 1.1
acpi0 B  at bios?
mpbios0 at bios0
pcibios0 at bios0 flags 0x0000 B # use 0x30 for a total verbose
ipmi0 B  at mainbus? disable B  B  # IPMI
vmt0 B  B at mainbus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # VMware Tools
esm0 B  B at mainbus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # Dell Embedded Server Management
amdmsr0 at mainbus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # MSR access for AMD Geode LX CPUs with GP

acpitimer* B  B  B at acpi?
acpihpet* B  B  B  at acpi?
acpiac* B  B  B  B  at acpi?
acpibat* B  B  B  B at acpi?
acpibtn* B  B  B  B at acpi?
acpicpu* B  B  B  B at acpi?
acpiec* B  B  B  B  at acpi?
acpimadt0 B  B  B  at acpi?
acpimcfg* B  B  B  at acpi?
acpiprt* B  B  B  B at acpi?
acpitz* B  B  B  B  at acpi?
acpivideo* B  B  B at acpi?
acpivout* B  B  B  at acpivideo?

option B  B  B  B  B MULTIPROCESSOR B # Multiple processor support
cpu* B  B  B  B  B  B at mainbus?

option B  B  B  B  B PCIVERBOSE
option B  B  B  B  B EISAVERBOSE
option B  B  B  B  B USBVERBOSE

isa0 B  B at mainbus0
isa0 B  B at pcib?
isa0 B  B at amdpcib?
isa0 B  B at gscpcib?
isa0 B  B at glxpcib?
eisa0 B  at mainbus0
pci* B  B at mainbus0

pchb* B  at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # PCI-Host bridges
ppb* B  B at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # PCI-PCI bridges
pci* B  B at ppb?
pci* B  B at pchb?
pcib* B  at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # PCI-ISA bridge
amdpcib* at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # AMD 8111 LPC bridge
gscpcib* at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # NS Geode SC1100 PCI-ISA bridge
gpio* B  at gscpcib?
glxpcib* at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # AMD CS5536 PCI-ISA bridge
gpio* B  at glxpcib?
kate* B  at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # AMD K8 temperature sensor
km* B  B  at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # AMD K10 temperature sensor
amas* B  at pci? disable B  B  B  B  # AMD memory configuration

# National Semiconductor LM7[89] and compatible hardware monitors
lm0 B  B  at isa? port 0x290
piixpm* at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # Intel PIIX power
management
iic* B  B at piixpm?

it* B  B  at isa? port 0x2e B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # ITE IT8705F, IT8712F,
IT8716F,
it* B  B  at isa? port 0x4e B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # IT8718F, IT8726F and SiS
SiS950
B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # monitors and
watchdog timer

# PCI PCMCIA controllers
pcic* B  at pci?

# PCMCIA bus support
pcmcia* at pcic?

# USB Controllers
ehci* B  at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # Enhanced Host Controller
uhci* B  at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # Universal Host
Controller (Intel)
ohci* B  at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # Open Host Controller

# USB bus support
usb* B  B at ehci?
usb* B  B at uhci?
usb* B  B at ohci?

# USB devices
uhub* B  at usb? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # USB Hubs
uhub* B  at uhub? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # USB Hubs
umass* B at uhub? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # USB Mass Storage devices
uhidev* at uhub? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # Human Interface Devices
ums* B  B at uhidev? B  B  B  B  B  B  B # USB mouse
wsmouse* at ums? mux 0
uhid* B  at uhidev? B  B  B  B  B  B  B # USB generic HID support
uvideo* at uhub? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # USB video
video* B at uvideo?

sdhc* B  at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # SD Host Controller
sdmmc* B at sdhc? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B # SD/MMC bus

npx0 B  B at isa? port 0xf0 irq 13 B  B  B  B # math coprocessor
isadma0 at isa?
isapnp0 at isa?

option B WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_USL B  B  B  B  B  B # VT handling
option B WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_RAWKBD B  B  B  B  # provide raw scancodes; needed
for X11
option B WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS=6 B  B  B # initial number of text consoles
option B WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_PCVT B  B  B  B  B  # emulate some ioctls; needed for
X11

pckbc0 B  B  B  B  B at isa? flags 0x00 B  B  B # PC keyboard controller
pckbd* B  B  B  B  B at pckbc? B  B  B  # PC keyboard
pms* B  B  B  B  B  B at pckbc? B  B  B  # PS/2 mouse for wsmouse
vga0 B  B  B  B  B  B at isa?
option B  B  B  B  B X86EMU B  B  B  B  B # to POST video cards
vga* B  B  B  B  B  B at pci?
pcdisplay0 B  B  B at isa? B  B  B  B  # CGA, MDA, EGA, HGA
wsdisplay* B  B  B at vga?
wsdisplay* B  B  B at pcdisplay?
wskbd* B  B  B  B  B at pckbd? mux 1
wsmouse* B  B  B  B at pms? mux 0

intelagp* B  B  B  at pchb?

agp* B  B  B  B  B  B at intelagp? B  B # AGP bridges

radeondrm* B  B  B at vga? B  B  B  B  # ATI Radeon DRM driver
drm* B  B  B  B  B  B at radeondrm?

pcppi0 B  B  B  B  B at isa?

ahci* B  at pci? flags 0x0000 B  B # AHCI SATA controllers

scsibus* at scsi?
sd* B  B  at scsibus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # SCSI disk drives
st* B  B  at scsibus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # SCSI tape drives
cd* B  B  at scsibus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # SCSI CD-ROM drives
ch* B  B  at scsibus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # SCSI autochangers
safte* B at scsibus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # SCSI accessed fault-tolerant enclosures
ses* B  B at scsibus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # SCSI enclosure services
uk* B  B  at scsibus? B  B  B  B  B  B  # unknown SCSI

# IDE controllers
pciide* at pci? flags 0x0000

wdc0 B  B at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14 flags 0x00
wdc1 B  B at isa? port 0x170 irq 15 flags 0x00
wdc* B  B at pcmcia?
wdc* B  B at isapnp?

# IDE hard drives
wd* B  B  at wdc? flags 0x0000
wd* B  B  at pciide? flags 0x0000

# ATAPI<->SCSI
atapiscsi* at wdc?
atapiscsi* at pciide?

# Networking devices
alc* B  B at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # Attansic L1C/L1D/L2C
Ethernet

atphy* B at mii? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # Attansic F1 PHYs

azalia* at pci? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # High Definition Audio

spkr0 B  at pcppi? B  B  B  B  B  B  B  # PC speaker

# Audio Support
audio* B at azalia?

bktr0 B  at pci?

pseudo-device B  pctr B  B  B  B  B  B 1
pseudo-device B  mtrr B  B  B  B  B  B 1 B  B  B  # Memory range attributes
control
pseudo-device B  nvram B  B  B  B  B  1
pseudo-device B  sequencer B  B  B  1
pseudo-device B  hotplug B  B  B  B  1 B  B  B  # devices hot plugging

# mouse & keyboard multiplexor pseudo-devices
pseudo-device B  wsmux B  B  B  B  B  2
pseudo-device B  crypto B  B  B  B  B 1

### end of my kernel config ###

--
### Coonardoo - The Well In The Shadow ###