I have one, and no, it doesn't work.  Not until after the system is
installed.

The only option I think might hold promise (but it's gonna cost) is
one of those remote management cards.  Sun had a LOM card that you
could SSH to, and then access a console from it...

I think you can get one of those PC Weasel cards, but there really expensive.