On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

> I'm surprised you've had so much help.

You shouldn't be, .. there *ARE* a few decent folks here on the list.

> Personally and If I had time I'd want to find out the problem but I'd be
> wiping and reinstalling from scratch anyway, especially with an unknown
> cause.

So, which is it? The attitude 'an upgrade will fix everything' is really
pretty dumb [though the core folks are certainly justfied as the problem
is most like not an issue for ongoing development, but that wasn't the
original question, was it?].

If something isn't working properly, throwing it away is ***NOT*** the
best solution! Would you take your car to the junkyard just because you
have a dome light that isn't working?

*Especially* in this case since locate is a standard utility with a shell
script that has not changed between 4.3 & 4.9, and I expect it hasn't for
5.0 either. If the system utilities have not changed, then the problem
must be elsewhere; blowing away a system just because you can't find the
problem is just plain stupid.

Thanks again to those that actually read the original question, .. I am
continuing to try and resolve the issue.

        Lee