On 2012-02-11 03.00, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 04:59:36 +0100, Benny Lofgren <bl-li...@lofgren.biz>
> wrote:
>> On 2012-02-09 00.38, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
>>> Benny Lofgren [bl-li...@lofgren.biz] wrote:
>> But since one hasn't magically materialized yet I've begun to look around
>> for likely candidates for implementation in OpenBSD, and the most likely
>> route I've found so far is journaling softdep.
>
> Take a look of hammer2
> http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2012/02/09/9173.html . This a
> modern FS and the developers wants to build a version more portable than
> the original hammer.
>
> But you're right, the FS will not be implemented magically and without a
> lot of efforts.

Thanks for the tip, but... Nah! I need something mature and proven,
not something where the "ToDo"- list reads longer than Tolstoy's "War
and Peace"... Nor the feature list, for that matter. I'm perfectly
content with ordinary ufs/ffs/ffs2 functionality, with the "small"
addition to my wishlist of journaling, to cut down recovery times.

Robust stability really is the key feature of any file system in my
opinion. I'm not much into the Linux mentality of experimentation and
always gravitating towards the coolest, latest greatest new technology
that someone just thought up. I'd rather go with the time-honoured,
trusted and proven.

Not that there's something inherently wrong with technological progress,
far from it! But I personally deal with systems that are in production
24/7 and I can't afford even the remotest possibility of something as
crucial as the file system to fuck up on me.

It's not called "bleeding edge" for nothing, you know. :-)

Regards,
/Benny - the trailing edge guy

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,