On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:54:30PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> You are assuming that 1) the disklabel was previously done by using "auto
> layout" and wasn't edited, and 2) the disklabel command in the new install
> kernel uses the same partition sizes and layout as the command used for the

This is exactly what happened to me when doing a fresh install on an old
disklabel.

I carefully wrote down every number beforehand, but it wanted to use new
fsize and bsize.
But it all worked out in the end.

If you want to preserve anything, back it up.
Write down every number in disklabel, or forget getting it back.
I had room for adding another partition at the end so I put a copy of
everything there also.

Chris Bennett