patrick keshishian wrote:

> I should have been more specific with my question and subject line: I
> don't see where aucat's "-f device" values are documented.

I suppose you overlooked sndio(7).

> Googling finds old (google-cached) current.html pages, circa 2009,
> suggesting using 'aucat -f sun:1' for /dev/audio1. However, this at
> first failed:
>
> $ aucat -f sun:1 -m rec -o /tmp/test.wav
> sio(sun:1|): busy loop, disconnecting

This should work, unfortunately (according to ratchov@) there's possibly a
bug in the (obscure) buffering of USB audio devices which makes this fail
for some devices. (Mine happens to be 2-ch, 24-bit @ 44100 Hz, in case that
matters)

> A bit more googling finds this post[1] suggesting addition of "-z 256"
> to aucat, which seems to make things work.
>
> $ aucat -z 256 -f sun:1 -o /tmp/test.wav
> ^C

So, yes, in this case it's necessary to specify a buffer size. (in my
experience many buffer sizes will work, the one aucat calculates just
doesn't)