On 02/20/12 05:03, Francesco Cardi wrote:
> Unfortunately there is no way forward is blocked at that time, in
> moemnto where there is loading and the first phase of installation.
> 16 mb ram does not go well with OpenBSD?

well, you don't describe what you want to do with the machine, but if
the goal is to be doing more than watching the hard disk light blink due
to swap, yes, it will not go well at all.  I've done some pretty cool
stuff with very little RAM, but I can't think of any productive anything
you will do with 16M on i386.
>>> You may have other problems with the machine you are using -- normally
>>> the clock time error is not fatal...just a "hey, your RTclock is hosed
>>> and as time is pretty important to a unix machine, you might want to
>>> know this" type warning and move on.
> The battery does not work, I use the notebook to connect the AC cord.
> I want to install OpenBSD without buying a new battery, do not want to
> spend money on a very old notebook.

Be aware that there are normally TWO batteries in most notebooks.  One
is the big rechargeable that powers the operation when the machine is
disconnected from the wall outlet; the other is the very small battery
which powers the Real Time Clock.  This is usually one of four things: a
disposable lithium cell, a SMALL rechargeable battery, a "supercap"
(large value capacitor, though it has been a VERY long time since I saw
these in a laptop; I think they fell out of favor), or a lithium battery
built into a chip that's probably soldered on the main board (I've not
seen these in a lot of laptops; that may say more about my sample
sources than real life).

The little batteries are replaceable.  Cost depends on how creative you
are.  If you go looking for an IBM model blabla replacement lithium
battery, cost will be high.  If you snip the ends off the existing
battery, and attach them to whatever you have laying around that will
fit, almost free.

> There is a possibility to load a parameter from the boot to eliminate
> this problem?

not if you are limited to 16M.
Again, we have no idea what your goal is, if you could get by with a
small amount more memory, find out what kind of RAM your computer needs,
and go talk to your local, been-in-business-forever tiny computer store,
odds are he's got a 16M or 32M (or better!) upgrade he pulled out of
someone's machine he'd almost give you for justifying his holding onto
the junk for the last ten years. :)

32M would get you a small firewall, serial/SSH terminal in text mode.
If you want anything GUI, I'd guess 64M to bring up X and a bunch of
xterms, but if you want anything that people think of as
graphical...256M and more is where you need to start.

Nick.