sorry to raise this again but would it be possible to add a startup log in
/var/log that documents system startups in some detail?

it could be toggled in rc.local or other rc config

Having a history of daemons active at startup and their failures could help
those who lack methodical documenting skills when they mess with the system.
After all not everyone is a full time sysadmin

I'm presently struggling hard to understand where rc is failing to start some
stuff but I'm loath of asking here as I'm sure most of the time it's something
stupid like a space after variable assignment in a config file.

regards

On 18 Feb 2012, at 18:15, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:

> [...]
checks... then exiting because there is in fact a problem.

>>> This has been discussed in the past already and we will not add it.
>>> This could potentially delay the startup bu a _big_ amount of time.
>>
>> OK.
>
> Thing is that rc.d(8) is meant to be as simple and generic as possible. Also
don't forget both system and ports use this so each function has been
carefully though.
> The drawback is that yes, sometimes it is a little too generic for each and
every need, but on the other end, because it is so simple, it's very easy to
tweak function(s) _within_ the daemon script itself if more extensive checks
are needed (using rc_pre or even rc_start). So it is easily extensible on a
case by case basis and we can keep the framework clean and simple.