On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM, mxb <m...@alumni.chalmers.se> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 4:31 PM, Tony Sarendal wrote:

> >> cpu's
> >>
> >> According to
> >>

> http://ark.intel.com/products/52276/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1270-%288M-Cache-3_40-GHz%29
> >>
> >> it does support it.  So it sounds like a problem with the bios.  It
> would
> >> be printing along with the other cpuid flags in the cpu part
> >> of dmesg were it enabled.  And if the cpuid says it is not present,
> >> it is not used.
> >>

> > You are star. It was disabled in bios.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> Sometimes you even need to flash BIOS to have it.

Worked fine here. Performance boost depended a lot on packet size, a full
speed one direction tcp data transfer
got a 30% boost from enabling aes-ni. Small packet size, 200 byte mtu in
sending direction, gave around 5% boost.

The test box has been doing 400Mbps of large frame data transfer for a day
or so now.

One interesting thing was that running with SP kernel two low-latency,
high-speed, tcp tranfers could
starve userland badly enough to drop bgp sessions where as with MP kernel
the box remained responsive
no matter how many tcp sessions I shot through it.

/T