I also have the symptom reported by Jean-Frangois SIMON (misc, 177504, 8 Sept 2010):

Peter N. M. Hansteen <peter <at> bsdly.net> writes:

> Jean-Frangois SIMON <jfsimon1981 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > At start-up the OS stays several minutes on "preserving editor files".
> >
> > Could you please inform me what to do about this .... what is the system
> > then doing ? Is it normal ?
>
> It's recovering vi's temporary files (from /var/tmp somewhere if
> memory serves), and it's a part of the normal startup sequence:
>
> peter <at> deeperthought:~$ sudo grep preserving /etc/*
> /etc/rc: echo 'preserving editor files.'; /usr/libexec/vi.recover > /etc/termcap:# eyeball, the translation was correct and perfectly information-preserving.
> peter <at> deeperthought:~$ file /usr/libexec/vi.recover
> /usr/libexec/vi.recover: a /usr/bin/perl -w script text executable
>
> Several minutes sounds like a lot, was the last shutdown not a clean one?
>
> - P

It is near 10 minutes pause in boot-up if the script has *anything*
to process in /var/tmp/vi.recover/ - more than 5, closer to 10.

The next thing in /etc/rc is the network daemon startup, and those diags don't appear on console or in /var/log/ until after /usr/libexec/vi.recover has waited
out whatever it is waiting for.

I'm running OpenBSD 5.0 (the amd release).  Jean-Frangois wasn't.

I see the script uses sendmail.   I haven't configured that yet.

ta
Douglas