On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:52:26PM +0200, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> [...]
> 1. When I used "flag 1" in fdisk during install, did the installer place
> the new files in fdisk partition 1?
> [...]

IIRC, behaviour with more than one A6 partition is undefined, but
I'd say so, since it was the first A6 the kernel encountered on
that disk.

> [...]
> 2. If so, does the original 5.0 installation still exists in fdisk
> partition 2?
> [...]

May be.

> [...]
> 3. If so, can my original disklabel be restored?
> [...]

Your original disklabel should still be intact if my answer to your
first question turns out to be true.

I think most of your issues come from the bootloader that was
installed when you did the 5.1 install. IIRC, the offset pointing
to the A6 partition is stored directly inside the bootloader, which
means that it has to be restored to point back to the second A6.
The proper course of action would thus be:

* Boot from a bsd.rd and enter the shell * Use fdisk to change the
  partition type of your first A6 (the one that contains 5.1) to
  something else.  * Write, the leave fdisk and use disklabel -c wd0c
  to tell the kernel to re-read the disklabel (replacing wd0c with
  your disk of
  course)
* Re-install the bootloader as described in the boot(8) manpage
  (you might want to print that before doing the routine, bsd.rd does
  not contain man pages).
* Reboot and pray

--
    Gregor Best