On 05/14/12 03:11, Mik J wrote:
Hello,

After my new OpenBSD installation, I'm trying to copy data from my
backup disk and I have these errors.
wd0f: uncorrectable data error reading
fsbn 1671616960 of 1671616896-1671617023)

It happens with different files
that belong to different directories and it's always the number fsbn
1671616960 or sometimes fsbn 1671616896.

I have in previous messages that
some sectors should be dead on my hard drive and that I have to do something
so that they won't be used anymore.

My first question is that I don't
understand the term fsbn.

Also I don't understand why so many directories
(files) are affected by this. How can I know the size of this bad sector ?
How can I know precisely which files are affected by this bad sector ?

How
can I check all the disk for other bad sectors ? (maybe some of them don't
show up because there is no data on it as I use just 30% of the hard drive).
Thank you for your answers

I have found that one of the best programs for recovering data from a bad hard drive is SpinRite. I have used it to do maintenance on hard disks before. It is operating system independent and works at the hardware level. If the information has commercial value, you may want to use it.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Good luck,
Ralph Ellis