On 29/05/2012, at 6:08 PM, Matt Hamilton <ma...@netsight.co.uk> wrote:

> Stuart Henderson <stu <at> spacehopper.org> writes:
>
>> cron job to restart it, with a random delay to avoid two machines
>> coming back up at the same time when all the routers at a site
>> fail together...
>
> So you just check it every minute to see if it is alive?
>
> It seems to me to be a pretty fundamental design flaw in the software given
> its role. I would expect it to return sending a packet or something, not
> just exit.

I run it on five routers in production, balancing a couple of Internet
links and a connection to a peering point. ospfd and ospf6d handle the
internal routing. I don't have a cron job to restart it because I
wasn't aware this is necessary - its been running for a year now with
no issues. There are however a few redundant paths, so if we did lose
a router it wouldn't cause too many problems.

Installations are a mix of 5.0 and 4.7, IIRC. Hardware is Dell R610s
and R415s, plus an embedded Soekris board (at the peering point).

Cheers,

Patrick