On 05/30/2012 04:27 AM, Matt Hamilton wrote:
> James Shupe <jshupe <at> hermetek.com> writes:
>
>> I've been running it to peer with 3 IPv4 peers and 3 IPv6 peers (full
>> views) and another partial IPv4 view with 12k routes (actually: varying
>> amounts of peers over the years, but that's the current setup) since 4.5
>> without needing any cron jobs to watch over it.
>
> It looks like the issue is likely to be bgpd's interaction with ospfd.
And/Or
> CARP. I have CARP configured on two routers that act as gateways to one
> of our upstream providers. They they speak OSPF and BGP to internal
> routers and routers that peer with other remote networks. So I think
> what happens is a CARP failover happens (they are quite regular for some
> reason, but its never bothered me as it just works) and that causes
> OSPF to change its metrics which in turn cause routing changes in BGP.
> Its this propagating of events that I think is causing issues.

We've always been running OSPFD and, since 4.7/4.8? or so, OSPF6D
(that's when it became usable for us), without issue. We also run CARP,
because these routers are installed in pairs and also act as default
gateways for machines behind directly them... so neither of those are
ruled out in our setup.

>> nrpe and ifstated run to verify the peers are up and react accordingly,
>> but they never trigger unless there is a physical or provider issue.
>> OpenBGPD has been rock solid for us.
>
> I'd be very interested to see your ifstated config and how you use
> that to verify peers being up as we could do with some better
> monitoring here.

I'll get something together when I'm at work later, I'm shooting this
email off real quick before I leave the house.

> -Matt

Thank you,
--
James Shupe

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]