I am tearing my hair out. I like to compile PHP and MySQL from source,
for use with Apache on OpenBSD - due to a recent intrusion via PHP
vulnerability, I absolutely need to run the latest versions of
everything. I have PHP-MySQL-Apache(CHROOT) working fine on a 3.8
installation but cannot get it working with 3.6 anymore. Please don't
tell me the upgrade the 3.6, the server is in a remote location and
the FAQ does not recommend upgrading the OS remotely anymore.

PHP and MySQL compile and install fine, but Apache exits with no error
codes in this configuration. I have put Apache in debug mode and it
still exits with no error codes! When I remove the PHP module, Apache
starts fine. PHP works fine on the command line. MySQL fine works on
the command line.

The most @#$1!% frustrating thing is that all was working fine on this
configuration with MySQL 4 and PHP 4.4.0. When I upgraded to PHP 4.4.1
and restarted Apache it all worked fine... then one day later the
OpenBSD kernel panic'ed or was otherwise unresponsive. A full reboot
was required by pulling the plug, because the console would not
respond (I walked my brother through this over the phone - remote
location). When the system came back up, Apache would not start.

Annoyed, I uninstalled PHP and then installed the PHP binary package,
which is somewhat out of date. Then Apache worked fine, but I
absolutely cannot run with an old version of PHP due to security
issues. I am at the point of compiling Apache on my own and getting
that running. It is maddening that there are no error logs in this
configuration (see above). It makes no sense why it was working
before, and not now. I have even reverted back to PHP 4.4.0 and it
still doesn't work like it did before. Tried uninstalling PHP before
'make install' of the old version but still no dice. Same thing with
PHP 5.0.5. Please help this is driving me fucking nuts.

Best regards,

Kelly Martin
--
Kelly's Red Beet Factory www.redbeet.com