Hello:

If this is a really stupid question, please be gentle.

So, I have had a machine with 4.9 running for a year or so.B  Except for some
minor tweaking (changes to pf.conf and the like), nothing has been installed
and there have been no major changes to it.

This morning (before I came to work), I noticed the system wasn't
responding.B  I went to the basement, got out my really old laptop as a serial
console, and noticed the system was giving a "ddb>" prompt.

Just for kicks, I reboo ted, and at some point after the networking comes up,
the system paniced and gave the "ddb>" prompt again (i can't recall the error
- still at work).B  I have been doing some googling in my free time, but could
not find anything to help me with the question below.

Anyway, my stupid question:B  This is almost certainly a hardware problem,
right?B  A dying disk, or something like that?

I am just wondering before I invest a lot of time/effort in trying to fix the
system.

Thanks

bye - ted