Hi Peter,

> Not 100% sure from the logs but you've got a lot of mixer channels muted,
> maybe PCM isn't getting amped.

Using audioctl and mixerctl I changed all the output settings that can be
changed, one by one. Unfortunately no effect. Anyway I feel that if the outputs
were wrong, this would not affect mplayer being able to play the file without
freezing.

>Also try 44100 Hz.

I tried but audioctl will not let me lower the Hz rate below 48000 Hz.

> >Is there something else I can try before getting a PCI soundcard?
>
> Update BIOS and any other firmware.

As far as I know, the BIOS is the only firmware existing on this computer.

I'm on BIOS version 210. According to
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_939/A8VMX/#download the 2 BIOS
updates more recent than this one are to "Support new CPUs." I wonder how
accurate this info is (i.e. do they fail to mention other things the BIOS
update achieves...). I'm kind of reluctant to flash the BIOS in case I brick
the beast.

Brett.