I purchased one of these USB ethernet adaptors to add an extra
interface to one of my OpenBSD devices:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B003VSTDFG

It's an AX88178 chipset device, and so should be supported by the
"axe" driver.  Indeed, when plugged into my OpenBSD 5.1 system it
is recognized:

        axe0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0 "ASIX Electronics
AX88178" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 2
        axe0: AX88178, address 00:0e:c6:88:e0:ec
        rgephy0 at axe0 phy 2: RTL8169S/8110S PHY, rev. 2

The interface is configured during the normal boot process and I can
even view packets via the network interface with tcpdump.  However,
the device never successfully transmits packets.  tcpdump on the OpenBSD
machine shows the device attempting to send packets, but tcpdump on
other network hosts shows no packets actually being emitted onto the wire.

dmesg shows the following errors:

        axe0: watchdog timeout
        axe0: usb error on tx: TIMEOUT

So the packets are getting queued up on the outgoing interface but
never actually getting transmitted?  Odd problem.

I'm happy to donate the device I purchased to whoever would like to
take a shot at fixing the problem.  Could be a fun hacking project,
but I personally just don't have time to work on it.  Contact me
off-list and I'll arrange to have the dongle shipped to you.

Cheers!

Hal Pomeranz