On 2012-07-04, mlambda <mlam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sometimes the touchpad doesn't work (the two buttons work, but the
> cursor doesn't move), unfortunately this doesn't seem to be reproducible
> and can only be fixed by rebooting.

I suspect there is probably a timing issue with the hardware that we
hit occasionally, I see it from time to time (though in the past I've hit
it much more often). I often (but not always) find that suspending and
resuming clears the problem, this is easier to do if you set
machdep.lidsuspend=1 in sysctl.conf.

> Is the ath driver supposed to work with this chipset? If I try
> connecting to a network I get the following error in dmesg:
> ath0: unable to reset hardware; hal status 3523306684
> ath0: unable to reset hardware; hal status 4120431260

Unfortunately ath(4) only supports really old cards, there were
some attempts at improving this but no completed work.

There's no BIOS vendor-lock like on some laptops, so it's fairly
easy to find a replacement card if you want something internal
(otherwise there are some very small USB adapters). For internal
replacements I would suggest ral(4) if you can get hold of one,
failing that it should be easy to find a second-hand wpi(4).
N.B. you would need a MiniPCIE card, not MiniPCI.