The previous tests were reading from striped disks 4 spindles,
writing to /dev/null

This is the best so far, with fetching 4 compressed 500MB files
on a remote ramdisk, local output going to /dev/null

All on 10GigE in the same room.

OUTDIR: [/dev/null] SSH Options: [-o Ciphers=arcfour128 -o
MACs=umac...@openssh.com]
254.72636815920398009950 MB/s
225.55066079295154185022 MB/s
222.60869565217391304347 MB/s
237.03703703703703703703 MB/s

Here is a test scp read from remote ramdisk, write to mounted
cluster filesystem (over the same 10GigE link).

OUTDIR: [/scatch/tmp] SSH Options: [-o Ciphers=arcfour128 -o
MACs=umac...@openssh.com]
73.03851640513552068473 MB/s
72.72727272727272727272 MB/s
68.63270777479892761394 MB/s
68.35781041388518024032 MB/s

I have compiled hpn-ssh but not yet tested it locally or over the wan.