On 2012-08-05, Ben Calvert <flying_wal...@me.com> wrote:
> you must read really fast!
>
> I prefer to set mine to 300 so I don't need to pipe things to more :)
>
> Seriously though, what are you trying to achieve with this setting?
> just because the text will scroll faster doesn't mean the machine
> will run faster... it might even slow things down (i have no evidence
> for this, other than that Theo & company tend to pick sane defaults)

Actually if you're considering the main console device (as set
in the boot loader), if the kernel is writing a lot to the console
then setting this faster will mean the machine runs faster,
as it will block many operations while it writes output.

(This is particularly noticable if you accidentally turn on
PF debug logging on a busy machine with a serial console).