On 04/09/2012, at 09:55, David Walker <davidianwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/09/2012, patrick keshishian <pkesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com> wrote:
>>> I've never seen a laptop that kept the light on when the lid was
>>> closed.  Is it really still on?
>
> Yes. Whether or not the screen blanks I can see the backlight glow
> with the lid closed.
> If I put it to sleep, apm -S the backlight disappears. obviously that
> doesn't help me as that shuts off network stuff but as an aside, I
> can't wake it up, using the keyboard starts one of the LEDs flashing
> and the DVD drive spins and flashes incessantly. :]

On my Tecra M5 (NVIDIA G72m GPU) I manage to turn off the backlight by hitting
Fn+F5 (the 'switch displays' hotkey). I have to hit it a couple of times again
to get it back on, because it cycles through all possible combinations, but it
works... I have no idea what makes it switch, but I guess it has something to
do with acpitoshiba(4). Check your dmesg for that, but I'm pretty sure it'll
be there.

I also have a really old Tecra 8000 whose DVD drive is also always blinking.
Not sure if it always spins, but I keep it empty anyway, so it's not really a
problem.